Monday, September 20, 2010

Royalty Among Us

South Fremont High's Homecoming was an amazing display of small town, home town Cougar, Red and Black Pride! I have never seen a high school that has so many fun festivities. Along with the normal dress up days and powder puff, this school had powder buff (boys playing volleyball-yes, Jansen played), a mongo bonfire, and a cool football drop. (Everyone pays $5 to buy a mini football they put their name on. At the football game, all the balls are put in a bag and hauled up by a huge crane and then dropped. Whoever has the ball closest to the bulls-eye wins $1000 for first prize and a John Deere mower for second place.) It was fun to see all the school spirit from the entire community and the parade was pretty awesome too!

I hauled my sick body out of bed long enough to be at the parade and game. I had been in bed sick for 2 days with a nasty head cold. I was nervous about going out in public, especially when I don't know anybody so Kris and I walked over to the school to "hang out" with Joe.

Oh, and did I mention that Jansen was Homecoming Royalty! He was not too thrilled about it and got teased by his buddies the entire week. He refused to dress up in a suit but I thought he looked mighty handsome in his jeans and black shirt:)

We had no idea where the parade would go so we took the advice of a fellow teacher who said to watch the parade with our kids. We headed over to Henry's Fork Elementary to find Will's class and waited.
The parade started and we got to see floats from all the different classes, sports, clubs, and incredible marching band! There were cool cars, trucks, fire trucks, horses, and tons of red and black colors everywhere! The seniors had the Homecoming King and Queen, the juniors had the Homecoming Prince and Princess, and the sophomore class had Homecoming Duke and Duchess. So Jansen was Duke of the school for the week's festivities!
But Jansen wasn't the only one we were waiting for...even Carlie was on the 8th grade student council float...chucking candy from the truck as only Carlie can. Check out that follow through!
The parade wiped me out so I headed home to rest before the game later that night. I was a proud mama when they called Jansen's name over the loudspeaker at halftime. Joe of course thought it was the most pathetic thing ever. Jansen had a fun homecoming week but is super glad his role as "duke" is over. We killed Firth in the football game and then saw some pretty sweet fireworks. I was happy I was well enough to be out of my bed but I'm sure people thought I sounded awful. Oh well.

I am still not used to our family's anonymity. People still don't even know who Joe is since he's in Special Ed. I'm sure that will change eventually. It's great to see our kids fitting in and adjusting. Joe and I are having a little bit harder time though. I have always been of the mindset much like the old tv show Cheers theme song...I want to be where everybody knows my name. Someday....

2 comments:

  1. Allie, it took me 4 years to have SOMEONE know my name, let alone an entire town. LOL

    You and Joe will be town royalty by the same time next year, enjoy the downtime while you have it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY! That is sooo awesome that Jansen was the "Duke"! I love all the pics! The kids are growing up so much!

    I want to come visit! :) Does that school need a cheer coach? haha

    ReplyDelete