Ahoy there mateys! I'm a pirate it's true!
I sail me boat on the ocean blue.
I search for treasure wherever I go,
And when I spy land I yell Yo-ho-ho!
I wrote this poem for Library Story Hour today. It's better than anything I found surfing the web. Scary, I know. I have been doing story hours for years now but this one was my favorite. The other 3 I did this past year were Pajama Party, Snow Day, and Sing Me a Story. Now that I am starting work at the Alternative Learning Center, story hour will have to be put on hold. I love the creativity I get to ooze while preparing.
The Ahoy There story hour had a map with clues as to which book would be read that culminated in the kids making a toilet paper roll pirate of their very own.
I dressed as a pirate to make it a little more exciting. We had a small group of kids but with parents, my audience was 28. Kris loved it but she had practically memorized all the books from all my practicing. (Ye have to get those pirate voices just right ya know me hearties!) So as I was reading she was echoing what I said. That little stinker!
I wanted to make sure these ideas were saved in our family yearbook for 2009 so here are the clues I used. Maybe I'll use it for my next turn for play group in March too!
Ahoy There Mateys
You’re on your way
To find yourself some treasure today!
Solve each clue and take a look
On what you find on the cover of a book
The very first clue should get you on your way
Please tell me what is the opposite of day?
***Read The Night Pirates by Peter Harris***
You’ve done a great job
Indeed, you’ve brought me pleasure
The very next book is all about treasure!
***Read Treasure by Suzanne Bloom***
Now take a break from reading and everyone stand up
You can act like a pirate without even dressing up!
***Pirate Finger Play Poem***
The next book shows how kids pretend to be
Pirates who are sailing over across the sea
They are happy and smiling in their boat
Although there’s no way that their boat would ever float!
***Read The Jolly Rascal by Clare Bevan***
You’re almost to the end
You’re a pirate for sure
To find your treasure there’s one more clue to endure.
You now get to make a pirate that home you can take
The very best treasures are the ones that you make!
So always remember that reading gives you power!
And thanks for coming along on this pirate story hour!
***Make toilet paper roll pirates***
PS- Little Kris took the pictures for this post. I especially like the one without my face! lol!



Allie, you're so freaking creative! I wish we lived closer so my kids could benefit from these sorts of things! ;)
ReplyDeleteLOL...don't blame the crotch shot on Kristen...you know you meant for that pic to be like that! lol
ReplyDelete