Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Will's in Double Digits Now


I can hardly believe that my redhead angel is 10! He woke up on the morning of April 24, 2010 announcing, "Happy Birthday to Me...I'm in Double Digits!" Why is it so hard for me to let my kids grow up? I will forever remember him as my 4 year old riding his Tazmanian Devil bike down to the bus stop on Lincoln Lane and Grantsdale to greet Jansen and Carlie from school. Long before Kristen came along it was just me and Will for a while. I treasure those hours of playing, crafting, stamping, reading books, and of course all the food network tv shows we watched together.

Will is my guardian angel. He came to me after suffering the emotional heartache of a miscarriage several months previous. I knew when I saw him that he was sent to take care of me. I had always dreamed of having a child that would play with my hair. Wow, did he fulfill that wish. As his tiny little hands tugged on my hair incessantly through church, Joe would sweetly remind me that I got exactly what I asked for. The picture in the newspaper of our family to welcome the new head basketball coach to Redlodge even has Will at only 4 months of age holding on with a deathgrip to my hair! It was a sad day when I had to explain to him that he could no longer touch my hair because he was hurting me.

I am so happy that we have his energetic, happy spirit in our home. I am so proud of his academic accomplishments this year. He has really just taken off! But more importantly, I am thrilled with his desire to make wise decisions. He continues to look out for me on a daily basis. He always really wants to know how my day went and he is loyal to me no matter what. He had a hard time adjusting to the new primary chorister, not because he didn't like her but because she wasn't me. He had become extremely invested in my calling as he helped me prepare various visual aids and games each Sunday. Somebody made the comment that Primary singing time was so much fun since Ruth started and he took it a a personal attack on me. He was very surprised when I wasn't offended by the comment but rather showered praise on Ruth's cool ideas too! I was touched by his loyalty to me but was also able to use it as a teaching experience about not being easily offended.

This year for Will's birthday, we decided to celebrate as a family by going to the movie How To Train Your Dragon. Will invited cousin Kobe along and they had a fun time hanging out afterwards too.
Will got a motorized erector set, a karaoke cd with Cold Play's Viva La Vida among other cool hip songs, money from mimi and papa, and then we took him to the Grumm Box to choose 2 new GameCube games. I felt bad that I wasn't there for most of the day because I was teaching a How To Turn Your Blog into a Book class at the Stake Relief Society Meeting in Stevi and Joe was out of state at Grandma A's funeral. Not to mention the fact that the kids had to clean the house by themselves for a showing for our realtor while I was gone. Other than that...I actually enjoyed Will's birthday immensely. Happy Birthday to my guardian angel who is now in double digits!

No comments:

Post a Comment