
This past Friday, Jansen was finally able to schedule some time with Joe to go get his driver's license! After driving with a permit since September...this is a happy day! I can send him to the gym to play ball on his OWN, I can send him with cash to buy milk on his OWN, and I can even send him to seminary on his OWN, not to mention now he can take Carlie to YW on Wednseday nights on his OWN! A whole new world has opened up for him and me too!
One of my friends asked me if I was nervous for him to be driving to which I responded, "Heck No!" And it's the truth. I feel sorry for anyone who has to have me as their driving instructor. I was such a nervous nelly driving with Jansen and I didn't have to be. He is actually a very good driver. Unfortunately, through the process, I have created a new backseat driver...Kristen! On Sunday when we were heading to church and Joe was driving, she was barking orders from her carseat, "Daddy, seat belt...Daddy, stop at the stop sign...Daddy, blinker...Daddy, go faster!" (Did I mention how much Kristen loves speed?)
Jansen's first drive alone was on an overcast day which of course warranted a sweet pair of aviator sunglasses, right? He looked way to cool! I'm sure the whole driver's license thing won't go to his head! Joe just rolled his eyes as the 79 Ford Pickup came roaring dow the lane looking head on at him through his office window. Aviators...really?
So now as Jansen enjoys his newfound independence I find myself already anxiously awaiting this time next year when Carlie will start Driver's Ed! Is that even possible? For now though...it's all about Jansen. Congratulations on passing the driving test Jans! We are very proud of you!



Allie,
ReplyDeleteI don't know why, but this post really choked me up.
It made me think of the time we spent together in Logan. Jansen was really my only friend back then. There was one day in particular that is burned into my memory. I was sitting on the wooden couch with Jansen sitting in my lap and I was teaching him some new phrase wich you're weren't too pleased about, but Jansen thought it was great. You were standing in the kitchen (Pregnant as well) and you looked totally exasperated with me, but you were also trying really hard not to laugh.
How on earth is that little boy able to drive??? :(
Tell him we are all SOOO proud of him!!