Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Winds of Change, Oh How They're Blowing!

I have taken a serious break from blogging due to all the changes coming up in our life. I have taken more time actually communicating in the spoken form rather than the written form. For many of you, this post will simply be a repetition of a phonecall or conversation in the hall at church or school. However, all these changes are definitely blog worthy!

After interviewing in both Malad and Saint Anthony, Idaho (on the same day) and after receiving both job offers (on the same day a few days later), Joe has accepted the position of Head Boys Basketball Coach and Resource Room Teacher at South Fremont High in Saint Anthony, Idaho!

The interviewing process for both schools were night and day! South Fremont had 3 people on the hiring committee: Principal, Athletic Director, and Head of Special Ed. I was invited to the interview with Joe and we felt as if they were hiring a person and not just a position. The interview felt more like a conversation and focused on education. As we were waiting for the interview to begin, I paid close attention to the student body and overall feel of the school. I noticed the hallways were carpeted which provided a quiet, educational atmosphere. When the bell rang I was surprised at how calmly the students went from class to class. Sure they were normal teenagers talking, chatting, and messing around...but the whole school just had a nice feel to it. I was extremely impressed!

The other interview had about 7 people including parents of basketball players and even a rival high school coach! Sounds kind of like Hamilton, huh! The interview was completely based on basketball and many of the questions felt like gotcha questions. I got to sit in on that interview as well and was not comfortable with the feel. Joe is amazing when it comes to interviewing! I enjoyed watching how bold he was with his interviewers. After drawing out his last 4 second play for the rival coach, he looked directly at the principal and stated, "Not to be rude, but this guy might be trying to undercut you". Then he found out that we play that school the first game of the season...and he now knows Joe last second play. Hmmmm..... While waiting for the interview, I also paid close attention to the overall feel of the school. My senses were visually assaulted by orange and black as we entered the building. The hallways were noisy and the kids seemed to have more of an edge. I noticed surveillance cameras with the monitor visible in the office. Why would a small school need that? Now, I'm not trying to bash on that school, I am just writing my observations. I'm sure there are many wonderful people in that community, people who love orange and black too!

So on the way home I thought this would be a no-brainer decision for Joe if both jobs were indeed offered. However, I was not aware of Joe's intense desire to coach a winning program...which Malad has. Malad also was offering the Social Studies position which was very tempting. In the days that followed, as we recounted the events of our trip, it became clearer to me that South Fremont was the right choice....but Joe stated that he would indeed accept the Malad job if not offered the South Fremont position. It wasn't until Jansen put his two cents worth in that Joe started to change his mind. Jansen reminded Joe of some father-son advice preached over and over again...learn from your mistakes. Jansen felt like Joe would be walking into a "Hamilton" type situation again and was very concerned that Joe would not be learning from his mistake! Wow...teens are so wise sometimes. Then when Joe spoke to Coach Mark Albert, his best friend, he put it in even more clear terms. He said it sounded like Joseph and Potiphar's wife and he admonished Joe to "Run Away"!

Thankfully, South Fremont called first which made it easier for Joe to say no to Malad. The great thing about South Fremont is that he will have a possibility to teach History and Government probably within a year. Although strangely enough, he is looking forward to teaching special ed once more. There are a few perks for me too. As we were driving through Rexburg I got so excited I could hardly stand it as I realized I would only be 10 minutes from BYU-I! I can go back to school and finish!!!! I also smiled as I realized we would only be 10 minutes from a temple....and a Wal-Mart! Overall, we just feel that Saint Anthony is a good fit for our family! Nothing can ever replace Hamilton and we know that, but things are finally starting to fall into place that reassures us that the we are on the right track.

No comments:

Post a Comment