Thursday, January 6, 2011

ADAPT!

The other day I was listening to the Christian radio station and they were talking about New Year Resolutions. They challenged their listeners to choose one word instead of making endless lists of goals. The word came to me quickly....Adapt!
Adapt to My Environment:
This move has been extremely hard on all of us. For me, the weather has put me in a sort of shock. I've never seen so much snow on a regular basis and the wind howls all the time! This is the view out my back window...beautiful! So why do I curl up in the fetal position and start rocking everytime I check the weather? My friend Brian H. in Hamilton put it best, "There is no such thing as being cold....only being improperly dressed for the weather!" (Well, something to that effect) So now I wear boots everywhere, bundle up in my warm coat, and guess what? It's not so bad when you're prepared and adapt!

Adapt to New Workout Routine:
Since we have horrible road conditions here, my membership to World Gym in Rexburg hardly gets used. It's still worth the $10 per month for the days I do get to go but you know me...I will go insane if I'm not working out on a regular basis. I joined a Latin Dance Fitness class in November but it was at night and sporatic at best. I now go to a Zumba class after school when it's still light out. I love it! I am done making excuses...it's time to adapt!

Adapt Socially:
Joe thought it would be a good idea if I not sit with the parents in the stands at first. Parents comments can be mean and impolite as we found out at our last school. I have been sitting across the gym from the parents. Whe we have company they sit with me but for the most part I am one hundred percent, utterly, and totally alone!

A few games ago it dawned on me....hey, I am a parent! I do have a kid playing out there! Who cares if I am the coach's wife! I went over and sat with our new "Steelers" friends. I didn't head over till the score was in our favor and asked if it was safe to sit with them. They laughed and responded that even if we were losing, it would be fine. Whew! The last few games have been much better sitting with the home crowd:) ... all because I am learning how to adapt to new social situations. I am a social bug by nature afterall.

Adapt Spiritually:
This year's primary theme is "I Know the Scriptures Are True". Our family has set a goal to read the scriptures everyday. Will suggested we read the entire Bible. While it is a worthy goal, I decided in order to keep it realistic...we will read by stories. We go in the same order as the Gospel Art Kit pictures so then Kristen has a visual aid! With all this adapting going on, I figured I needed to be more spiritual to cope with everyday stresses.

I'm the type of person whose stomach turns left if the car all of a sudden turns right when it was supposed to turn left. This move to Idaho has left my stomach in my throat, making me ill at times. A mom at story hour the other day asked me, "Did you actually choose to live here?" And "Why?" Yes, we did choose the job here. It's time to adapt regardless of the weather, the loss of the Canyons Athletic Club, the lack of friends so far, and an overall upheaval in our lives! Did you notice the brilliance of the sunrise in the photo? January 2011 is a time where I get a chance to have the sun rise again on my life! My hope is that this single word "adapt" will help shift my focus and help me get on with my life...with my stomach headed the same way too!

1 comment: