Monday, October 18, 2010

It's Never a Good Idea to Jump Out of a Moving Vehicle

Joe took the van on Friday to see if we could get some repairs done. The guy was too busy so we settled for an oil change. Is it wrong that I was so happy to NOT have a vehicle for the day? I was just flat out exhausted from the whole week. I worked on my blog book while the kids watched movies. I was really looking forward to my date night with hubby. The only thing scheduled for sure was Carlie and Jansen were going into Hamilton for Homecoming festivities, Carlie was spending the night at Jaylee’s, and Will was going to Chase’s 13th birthday party. Everything was going as planned.

After reading my book “Three Cups of Tea”, I went over to the gym with Mary and the cousins as they celebrated Chase’s birthday. They loved playing with the parachute the most but they played a bit of basketball, skated, and jump roped among other things. When it was time to head home for dinner, it was decided that Will would have his first sleepover at Dave and Mary’s. All that was left was to grab his overnight bag at Grandma’s. He was super excited as he ran out the door.

As Mary pulled away from the driveway I noticed that Will was sitting in the passenger door window with his whole body practically hanging out. The little girls had all 3 of their heads poking out the sun roof as if they were in a limo or something. I told Sharon I was uncomfortable but by the time I decided to say something, they were out of there. I hoped for the best but ended up getting the worse.

Sharon and I were just making hamburgers in a very quiet house as we enjoyed each others company. About half hour later, Mary came to the door with Will in a sling slouched over. I thought they were pulling a prank on me until I saw the bloodstained knee. As soon as Will saw me and Mary started explaining what happened, Will went into total shock. The color drained from his face and he started to shake. I quickly wrapped him in a blanket as he started to whimper. I asked if he was crying from pain but he replied he was “just so scared”. Yeah, me too buddy!

Mary felt awful as she related what had happened. She kept saying it was her fault and Will would quickly correct her by saying no, it was his fault. I didn’t care whose fault it was, I just wanted to know what happened. Mary was a little way down the main road in Pinesdale when she decided Will was not in a good spot. With the 2 boys on ripsticks in front of her and a couple of girls jumping rope behind, it was quite the circus birthday entourage. She had started to slow down to pull over when Will decided to jump! Obviously, he didn’t land it very well. He was convinced that he would be able to jump, land, and run alongside the van due to a conversation and stunt performed by Easton Albert a few days earlier. It worked for Easton….but not for Will. Will broke his collar bone at the a/c joint. Ouch!

We tried to get a hold of Dr Heath but he was out hunting. Knowing we didn’t have insurance, I really wanted Brett to take a look first. Thankfully, Joe had just got back from golfing with Dave and was able to diagnose the injury. I love his background in sports…it sure comes in handy. That and the wonder of the internet! So we figured if we went to the hospital, we would have a huge bill and the doc would say something like “take it easy for a while”. Carla Albert is a Physical Therapist and she said most collarbone injuries heal within 4 weeks for a 10 year old. Andrew had broken his arm several times this year which is why he had a sling handy. I wanted to take him to the doctor here in Idaho but the stomach flu got in the way of that….but that’s another blog entry.

Will went ahead to Chase and Kobe’s house but we all decided a sleepover was definitely not going to happen. Instead, Will got to watch movies with his cousins as a distraction to the pain. In the meantime, Joe and I debated if we should keep our date. Once we were convinced, he was fine we went down to the PharaohPlex to watch Wallstreet:Money Never Sleeps. I was really preoccupied with my little man and honestly didn’t follow the movie very well. I know zero about the stock market. I do know the movie was well written, well acted, and had cool cinematography throughout. Other than that, it was nice to be with Joe finally. I didn’t see him much this vacation. We arrived home and Will was ready for more painkiller and went straight to sleep. I worried throughout the night and gave thanks to the Lord that his injury hadn’t been more serious. I am so thankful for all my children and hate to see them suffer. But the thought of Will being hurt was almost more than I could bear.

More spud harvest entries to come….

No comments:

Post a Comment