I had to wait to post this until I knew the coast was clear. Many weeks ago...Kristen brought home lice from preschool. So of course, Carlie and I got it as well. Note to self: Quit using each other's hairbrushes. I had lice when I lived in Uruguay as a little girl and always thought that lice was a "third world" country disease or at least limited to South America at the very least. I guess I was wrong!
While I was horrified by the discovery of a nit (lice egg) in Kristen's hair, I was equally shocked at how similar lice is to leprosy inasmuch as people do not want to know you have it nor do they want to be near you! Kristen's preschool made her stay out of school for 10 days. However, we all went to church the following day after the whole ordeal began.
I spent approximately 6-1/2 hours combing each individual strand of hair on all three of us after shampooing with special lice shampoo of course. Fortunately, I used the "Walgreens" generic shampoo on the girls which smelled lovely. Since I bought the last box in the store, I bought myself a different brand which made me smell like VINEGAR for approximately one week!!! Sooo not funny! Trust me, by the end of that very long Saturday....our hair has never been so clean. So yes...we went to church...and yes...we sat by your kids and your families....and yes...you survived it without even knowing. So ha! It didn't kill you afterall!
Our house was completely sanitized top to bottom with special spray, lots and lots of laundry, and yes...all brand new hairbrushes! (Which we will no longer be sharing!) So to those of you who have ever had to suffer in silence, away from the tormenting eye of the public, I now feel your pain. And to those of you who have had kids with lice and have spent hours with that painful little black fine tooth comb...I honor you. And to those of you who have had to brave your 4 year old daughter triumphantly announcing to the world at the grocery store that the bugs in her hair are now gone...well...we're all in this together!
PS-Thanks for combing the nits out of my hair when I was little dad! I have always known that you love me but now I really understand just how much! I love you too!
While I was horrified by the discovery of a nit (lice egg) in Kristen's hair, I was equally shocked at how similar lice is to leprosy inasmuch as people do not want to know you have it nor do they want to be near you! Kristen's preschool made her stay out of school for 10 days. However, we all went to church the following day after the whole ordeal began.
I spent approximately 6-1/2 hours combing each individual strand of hair on all three of us after shampooing with special lice shampoo of course. Fortunately, I used the "Walgreens" generic shampoo on the girls which smelled lovely. Since I bought the last box in the store, I bought myself a different brand which made me smell like VINEGAR for approximately one week!!! Sooo not funny! Trust me, by the end of that very long Saturday....our hair has never been so clean. So yes...we went to church...and yes...we sat by your kids and your families....and yes...you survived it without even knowing. So ha! It didn't kill you afterall!
Our house was completely sanitized top to bottom with special spray, lots and lots of laundry, and yes...all brand new hairbrushes! (Which we will no longer be sharing!) So to those of you who have ever had to suffer in silence, away from the tormenting eye of the public, I now feel your pain. And to those of you who have had kids with lice and have spent hours with that painful little black fine tooth comb...I honor you. And to those of you who have had to brave your 4 year old daughter triumphantly announcing to the world at the grocery store that the bugs in her hair are now gone...well...we're all in this together!
PS-Thanks for combing the nits out of my hair when I was little dad! I have always known that you love me but now I really understand just how much! I love you too!



I hate lice!!! I'm so sorry all of you got it! :( But glad it's all gone.
ReplyDeleteUgh, do you remember when we lived in MO and I got lice?? I can remember seeing bugs crawling in the girls hair who sat in front of me in class! SO GROSS!
ReplyDeleteGlad you got it all taken care of!! :)