Warning: This post is for venting purposes only.
I decided to finally read I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings since Jansen is reading it for Freshman English. I knew it would be inappropriate but I just was not prepared for how vulgar it really was! I am shocked, appalled, and upset. I am regretting letting Jansen read this instead of the Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman (which was the opt out book choice).
I love good literature and cannot figure out why freshman are reading this! I get that Maya Angelou had a very rough life and I commend her for all her accomplishments and contributions...I just don't think 15 year olds should be reading such graphic descriptions of rape. Once I got through the rape chapter, which made me want to vomit, I thought to myself that I could read the rest now. Ms. Brown just smiled and said, "Oh it gets worst". How could it possibly get worst? Oh yes...but it did.
Thankfully I was speed-reading but I felt like I needed to take a shower to get all the filth off of me. I don't watch R-Rated movies and am super selective on PG-13 movies...so why exactly am I (along with my son) reading X-Rated literature? As I read the book, the phrase that kept coming to mind was "If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report, or praiseworthy...we seek after these things." I honestly can say...I found none of the above. I am embarassed at having read what I read today.
I had a candid talk with Jansen and told him that although it was his decision, I was extremely uncomfortable with him finishing the book. I told him I would gladly fight this battle and get his teacher to let him switch books mid-way. And if he wouldn't...I would happily let Jansen take a Zero for this unit by not participating. I am sad that he has decided to stick it out. Our compromise is that he will do all work ahead of time so the book doesn't linger on forever. I again told him, this was a battle I'm willing to fight to which he responded, "Mom, if I feel there's a battle to fight with my teacher...I'll be the one to fight it." Wow! What a kid! I ended our converation by saying that if at anytime he felt uncomfortable with what he was reading to please let me know and PUT THE BOOK DOWN!
I know there are many out there who would argue in favor of the book. I get that. But I have to judge off my own moral compass and it says YUCK! The book made me feel angrier and angrier as I read. I started feeling like a caged bird having to endure the crude and vulgar ways in which things were described. Only I ain't singing! I can guarantee that I will be writing a letter with my concerns on the age-appropriateness of the book at the high school (freshman) level! So here's a word to wise parents: Read what your kids are reading. Be involved in their education. If the teacher offers an optional book...it's for a good reason!
PS-Incidentally, I did read the Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman (the optional reading) and I came away from that book with a totally different feeling. And that book also was about slavery, abuse, the depression, and even rape. However, it was much more age appropriate and it left out all the graphic details. Thank you! Why can't our teens be reading more uplifting literature in this stressful phase of adolescence? No wonder the kids are moping around school and rarely smile. Sheesh!
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Never read it, but it's not been one I wanted to read... however--- I do commend Jansen for saying to you what he did. takes a lot to stand up for yourself, and also to say that you'd be willing to "fight" for what you believe in. I also commend you for talking to him about it. I often wonder how many parents take time to find out exactly what their children or doing/reading...
ReplyDeletesheesh!! Are you keeping a list of all these books so it can help me in the future also stay on top of my kids reading???? Love the ear candy!! Kris rocks.
ReplyDelete