Thursday, October 16, 2008

Sweet 16



Didn't we already have a huge anniversary entry? Umm, yeah. As you all know, Joe and I have our civil anniversary and then our temple sealing anniversary. However, my favorite anniversary is October 15th..the day we met and our lives changed forever!

This photo was done by our professional photographer...and she's actually my dear friend Kristin Kanenwisher. (Check out her blog for another sneak peak at our family photo shoot:www.kristinkanenwisherphotography.blogspot.com Don't worry, she is in the process of coming up with a shorter website name. LOL!) Kris is definitely a gifted professional who was able to capture true bliss with her camera! Thank you so much!

Anyway, as I reflect on the last 16 years I am overwhelmed with mountains of precious memories. Life is so funny! One day you are on a blind date with your kindred spirit watching "Sneakers" and the next, you are sitting on the bed with a 13 year old son, 12 year old daughter, 8 year old son, 2 year old daughter, and the man of your dreams. Wow! My breath gets taken away trying to grasp a hold on the reality that has become my life!

This past month has been filled with decisions and changes that I have not been able to share. At the beginning of the month, Joe and I sat in his office and listened to old REO Speedwagon songs for a couple of hours. It has been depressing and stressful for Joe's job to slow down as much and as fast as it has. Not only is he not making any money (remember he is paid commission only), but he lost money from people canceling. Even the hurricane in Houston cost him about $600 from canceled commissions. Anyway, Kristen was napping and we were just hanging out with each other to maintain sanity. Hey if REO Spedwagon works, then why not? We listened to Neil Diamond too. Crazy, lazy autumn afternoon!

I left to pick the kids up and returned quickly. Joe told the kids he needed to talk to me ALONE. I knew something was up! During the 20 minutes I was gone he had been called and offered an assistant men's basketball coaching position at Centenary College in Hackettstown, New Jersey! This is what we had been praying for! As we discussed the possibility of an imminent move, we quickly realized that Joe would have to leave by the 15th of October, I would stay here till the house sold, and then reunite asap after Christmas break sometime. I was so happy and excited for the chance for Joe to further his coaching career...and at the college level(d-3). I wanted this so badly for him! For the next few days I found out everything there was to know about Hackettstown including the nearest wards, schools, Wal-mart, mall, etc. You know, all the important stuff! Google Earth rocks!

Obviously, after sleeping on it for our alloted amount of time given by the Head Coach, we came to the conclusion that no matter how bad we wanted it, it just couldn't work right now. It was so hard for me to watch Joe e-mail the decline to the offer. I still am so confused as to why we are still here. Sometimes I feel that our house has trapped us but at the same time I can't imagine ever leaving our "palace". I know we will never live in a place this nice again if we do indeed move.

The next day was General Priesthood Meeting for Conference. Joe had an interview with a counselor in the Stake Presidency. I am happy to report that Joe has been called and sustained to be the new early morning seminary teacher! Talk about another answer to our prayers. Now Joe will be able to have something to focus his energy on and get better acquainted with the New Testament too! Both these pieces of information have been so hard to hold in. We learned from the Driggs and Logan experiences not to let the cat out of the bag until we know there's actually a cat in the bag to let out! Can you imagine how many people would have been in freak-out mode if we had announced that we were thinking of moving to New Jersey???? But now since I know we are not going, it's safe to report.

So now, unless the economy starts to boom (not very likely), Joe will have to look for another job either to replace this one or in addition to. We have a job offer on the table for a headhunting company here in Hamilton that we are considering. I have a feeling though that if a coaching opportunity presents itself in the spring that we will seriously consider it. I can't imagine living anywhere other than Hamilton at this point in my life and it makes me sad to think of it. I have made some extremely close friends and love that everyone knows my name in this town. However, I am willing to move on if it's the right thing. I wish I knew what the "grand plan" was for our little family. It seems that we just live day to day.

Well, getting back to the original intent of this entry, I gave Joe the Yanni "In My Time" CD along with a twix (to share with me) to celebrate our October 15th! Once again, Kristen napped as he and I sat in his office listening to music. For those who don't know, this is the CD that played as I walked down the aisle and throughout the wedding reception. Music has amazing power and this kind is no exception. Music can transport you to another place and time in a blink of an eye! So as I sat with my hubby on a slow work day, the tears poured freely as I replayed the last 16 years in my head. Wow, what a ride! I don't know where I will be a year from now but I know it will be with my very best friend! Love you honey! I know we'll make it through this eventually. Until then, I hope we learn to enjoy the journey!

1 comment:

  1. Sigh,

    Is it selfish of me to have cried when you wrote that you had turned down the NJ job? A sister within a 10 hour drive? A sibling, relation within driving distance for holidays? Sigh.. Well, I guess I'll get back to trying convince Caity to move somewhere near here.

    ReplyDelete