Everything was going along just fine. I have never messed up on this particular recipe so I was feeling pretty confident. Mind you...I'm no domestic goddess but granola is way too hard to mess up even for me. Rather than take the time to move the oven racks into the proper position I shoved both pans on the same rack. Big mistake. Granola only bakes for 15 minutes so imagine my shock to smell burning as the timer went off. I opened the oven door and the pungent stench of burned oats assaulted my olfactory units. I quickly removed the pans and the entire house filled with smoke and charred smell. I tried in vain to scrape the granola off the pans. The granola glided off easily of the stone pan but the metal pan was another story. Keep in mind, I was still trying to visit with my sister-in-law but I was so frustrated scraping black bits off the pan that we could hardly hold a conversation. The thought ran through my mind...Mary and Martha. I was prompted to step away from the kitchen and just visit. But I didn't.
I continued scraping till the job was complete. Meanwhile, I had opened doors and windows trying to get the smell out to pretend that nothing had ever happened. I mean the pan was sparkling like new and the burned remains of granola had long since been disposed of in the disposal so nobody would ever know, right? Finally, I put down the scrubber and sat down to visit. Only by then, it was time for my niece's nap and our visit was cut short as my sister in law left back to her mom's house. I had assumed she was staying until her husband was done with the training so I thought we had plenty of time. I was wrong.
After she left, I went back into the kitchen and cried as I looked at the salvaged remains of the very brown and crispy granola in the clear bowl. I cried and cried. I felt at that moment as though I couldn't do anything right. Will saw me crying and reminded me that I still needed to exercise. Once the endorphins kicked in I was able to put the incident of the burned granola behind me and have a productive rest of the day.
This past week I found out that one of my Zumba buddies, Lisa, passed away. She wasn't even 50. She died of alcohol poisoning. My heart was grieved not only that she had passed away but from the realization that I never shared the gospel with her. Not once. As I was looking up her obituary, I found that one of our patient's at the clinic I work at had also passed away. He was 92 and married to the love of his life. Bill and Betty would always come to their appointments together. My heart felt a deep sadness for Betty. They were scheduled to come in on Monday. I reflected on the sadness that this sweet couple had not been sealed for eternity and wondered how much of a void that must leave. I often wonder when people pass on to the other side if they look down at me and say, "Why didn't you share with me what you knew?" A dear friend reminded me to not beat myself up about not sharing the Gospel with my friend in Zumba class. Perhaps there is someone else who I need to share with though. Immediately a name came to me and immediately I acted.
One more event this week provided yet another teaching moment. Joe and I went to the movie "Risen" which is the story of Christ's resurrection as told through the viewpoint of a Roman tribune. Although I could hardly stomach the crucifixion scene, the rest of the movie was spot on! I feel an even closer connection to my Savior now more than ever. After the movie ended and people started filing out, I realized that I didn't know a single person in the theatre yet there we were....all believers in Christ. I had an overwhelming sense of why the Lord is hastening the work. I am so thankful to all you missionaries who have become fishers of men. Perhaps somewhere out there this week is a "Lisa" whose life will be forever changed through hearing about the redemptive gospel of Jesus Christ. Perhaps this week as you smile at someone as you walk down the road, it will keep them from taking that final detrimental sip of alcohol. Perhaps, as you teach about the plan of salvation, generations will be affected and will finally be sealed for time and all eternity.
We all make mistakes and end up "burning things" along the way. Nobody is perfect. I guess the important thing is to take time for what matters most and then air out the house and let the fresh breeze of the Gospel cleanse the air. No, I didn't share the Gospel with a friend who needed it but that doesn't mean that I can't continue to try to share this sweet message with others along the way. I guess that's what I love about the atonement, even when I burn the granola He helps me scrub off every last little speck of black seemingly cemented on the pan and try, try again. May you have a wonderful week sharing this sweet message of our Lord and Savior!
love, mamajessop



No comments:
Post a Comment