October 28, 2011 Friday Kristen’s 6th Birthday!
Today should have been an amazing day for an amazing six year old. I was trying to budget my to-do list. We had 12 party guests ready to come at 4:00 for a Princess Tea Party. I was getting ready to make the trifle dessert when a phone call came from Washington Elementary. Kristen was crying and saying she missed me. I asked her if she felt ok and she said she did. She said I hadn’t been spending enough time with her since I was working all the time, and I knew she was right. I was missing myself with how busy this new calling has kept me. I assured her that I would be there at school to celebrate her birthday with snacks for her classmates in a few hours. I reminded her how special it was that she was the birthday girl. And birthday girls should have a happy face on. I spoke to her teacher and told her to call if Kristen’s mood didn’t improve. I knew she was sleep deprived and feeling unsettled because Joe was gone too. Not even an hour passed when the school called again.
I was informed that Kristen had just puked all over the music room and I needed to come get her right away. When I walked into the office, Kristen was lying on the cot with her birthday crown on her head. It was the saddest thing I have ever seen! Quickly my mind started racing about what to do about the Princess Tea Party. I got Kristen back home with me and she puked a few more times. Charise showed up with some much needed chicken noodle soup along with a cool coloring set. Kristen finally perked up and we were able to play with her new Barbie Pool and Princess Tea Set. She exclaimed, “Mommy, this is the best birthday ever?” I was thinking to myself, “You have got to be kidding, right?” When I asked her why she responded that she got to play with me all day… just the two of us.
A couple of hours passed and I received a phone call from the Middle School. It was Will asking me to pick him up because he was sick too! Oh no. I quickly texted Jansen and Carlie to see how they were feeling and felt a huge sense of relief when they said they were fine. Will had dressed as Michael Jackson that day for school so he looked pretty pathetic when I picked him up too! Then I had to text 12 princess moms to call off the Princess Tea Party. By the time the party would have started, I had two kids sacked out on the floor and couch sound asleep, puke bowls at the ready, and a very wiped out self. I caught a bit of a nap until Kristen puked again. I guess it was a good thing I cancelled the party.
Jansen brought home some chicken noodle soup and saltines for the sick kiddos after school. The kids had been too sick to go up to Pinesdale to celebrate with Shona too. Thankfully Don and Rachel brought her by to exchange gifts. Shona and Kristen share a birthday so they each gave each other a present. Shona got to stay and play with the Barbie Pool for a little bit but then they headed on up to Grandma’s for her birthday celebration. We had a lazy rest of the day but by the time Joe returned home from his trip to Utah to buy a car, the kids were perked up and running around as though nothing out of the ordinary had happened at all! I am not even sure Joe believed the story of my day as he watched a giggling Kristen go sliding down the stairs later that evening.
This birthday rivals in sadness Will’s birthday where he woke up with Chicken Pox. I think there should be a rule that birthday kids aren’t allowed to be sick on their special day. I still haven’t been able to reschedule the Princess Tea Party. All the party guests have their princess dresses hanging in their closets just waiting for the text that the party is back on. Even despite the yucky-ness of the day, I really enjoyed slowing down and spending time with Kris. Sure she was in her pjs all day once she got home, but by the time we ended our day with watching Tangled, it had been a lovely day indeed. Rachel reminded me to delight in the perfectness of life even despite the imperfections of the day.



No comments:
Post a Comment