Thursday, March 3, 2011

Full Recovery Expected

Isn't it funny how we count in smaller increments the more traumatic an injury. I am happy to say I am no longer counting by days but by weeks and in time I hope to be counting by months. But for now, I am in week 7 of the "broken butt" recovery!

On day 5 I had the xrays, on week 3 I had pinched nerves with pain like I've never felt before nor do I ever hope to feel again. It would take me 7 minutes to get from the side of my bed into my bed! Driving was near impossible and when I could get to the car, all the icy bumps in the road caused me to grit my teeth, squeezing tears out of my eyes, cramping my non-driving leg, and praying not to cuss!

Also on week 3, my dear hubby set me up a chiropractic appointment which got rid of ALL pinched nerve pain! Apparently I had knocked one hip 1/2" higher so once I had an adjustment, I felt taller, walked straighter, and all pinched nerves ceased to exist:) On week 5 I felt great but still wasn't allowed to vaccuum, sweep, shovel, etc.

Joe bought me a treadmill as part of my "rehab". When I walk....all pain goes away. Then came week 6...I get to jog again! I was frustrated to find that jogging hurts like a monkey! Baby steps I tell myself....at least I can sneeze, cough, go to the bathroom, laugh, and cry without excruciating pain. So last week I could only jog 5 minutes...this week I can jog 15 minutes! My total workout combined with walking and jogging is a little over a mile:)

Now into week 7, I find myself falling into my usual routine. I've never been so excited to vaccuum! I could do without the constant shoveling of snow....but overall I find I am starting to bounce back. Yesterday was my first "Ibuprofen-free" day since the whole ordeal 7 weeks ago. Today...back to ibuprofen...but I remain hopeful that each day I will continue to recover...so I clip on my ipod and continue walking my way back to myself!


2 comments:

  1. Oh man! I am so jealous. (not about the broken butt) But I REALLY would love a treadmill! You'll have to tell me what kind you got and if you like it!

    Treadmills aside, you're one of the most resilient, optimistic
    people I know. How could you even doubt a full recovery?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you really Cuss? I actualy would really like to see that.

    ReplyDelete