Book #1: Gone With the Wind-Margaret Mitchell ****

Land is the only thing in the world that amounts to anything, for ’tis the only thing in this world that lasts. (Scarletts Dad)
I’ll think of it all tomorrow, at Tara. I can stand it then. Tomorrow, I’ll think of some way to get him back. After all, tomorrow is another day. (Scarlett talking about Rhett)
Book #2: Les Miserables-Victor Hugo *****
"To owe life to a malefactor . . . to be, in spite of himself, on a level with a fugitive from justice . . . to betray society in order to be true to his own conscience; that all these absurdities . . . should accumulate on himself—this is what prostrated him." (Referring to Javert)Once I stole a loaf of bread...and now I will not steal a name! (Valjean)
"[Valjean] had fallen back, the light from the candlesticks fell across him; his white face looked up toward heaven, he let Cosette and Marius cover his hands with kisses; he was dead."
February:
February:
. . . I’m standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff—I mean if they’re running and they don’t look where they’re going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That’s all I’d do all day. I’d just be the catcher in the rye and all. (Holden Caulfield)
You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view . . . until you climb into his skin and walk around in it. (Atticus giving Scout moral advice)
“Remember it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.” That was the only time I ever heard Atticus say it was a sin to do something, and I asked Miss Maudie about it.
“Your father’s right,” she said. “Mockingbirds don’t do one thing but make music for us to enjoy . . . but sing their hearts out for us. That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.” (The theme for the whole book...Boo Radley is the mockingbird)
“Your father’s right,” she said. “Mockingbirds don’t do one thing but make music for us to enjoy . . . but sing their hearts out for us. That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.” (The theme for the whole book...Boo Radley is the mockingbird)
All endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time.
"Lost love is still love. It takes a different form, that's all. You can't see their smile or bring them food or tousle their hair or move them around a dance floor. But when those senses weaken another heightens. Memory. Memory becomes your partner. You nurture it. You hold it. You dance with it.
--Eddie's Wife
--Eddie's Wife
"Holding anger is a poison...It eats you from inside...We think that by hating someone we hurt them...But hatred is a curved blade...and the harm we do to others...we also do to ourselves."
March:
Book #6: The Three Musketeers Alexander Dumas ***(I didn't enjoy the writing style of this book at all. Everytime I started to read, I fell asleep. So I finally Spark-noted it section by section then I would skim and read the important parts. Did I cheat? Yeah, kind of...but I finished!)
"All for one and one for all!" - The comradery of D'Artagnan, Athos, Porthos, and Aramis.
Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?'
'That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.
'I don't much care where —' said Alice.
'Then it doesn't matter which way you go,' said the Cat
'That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.
'I don't much care where —' said Alice.
'Then it doesn't matter which way you go,' said the Cat
The White Rabbit put on his spectacles. 'Where shall I begin, please your Majesty?' he asked.
'Begin at the beginning,' the King said gravely, 'and go on till you come to the end: then stop.'
'Begin at the beginning,' the King said gravely, 'and go on till you come to the end: then stop.'
Book #8: The Wind in the Willows- Kenneth Grahame ****
There is nothing — absolutely nothing — half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. In or out of ‘em, it doesn’t matter. Nothing seems really to matter, that’s the charm of it. Whether you get away, or whether you don’t; whether you arrive at your destination or whether you reach somewhere else, or whether you never get anywhere at all, you’re always busy, and you never do anything in particular; and when you’ve done it there’s always something else to do.
Mole stood still a moment, held in thought. As one wakened suddenly from a beautiful dream, who struggles to recall it, and can re-capture nothing but a dim sense of the beauty of it, the beauty! Till that, too, fades away in its turn, and the dreamer bitterly accepts the hard, cold waking and all its penalties; so Mole, after struggling with his memory for a brief space, shook his head sadly and followed the Rat."
The world has held great Heroes,
As history books have showed;
But never a name to go down to fame
Compared with that of Toad!







I love these books! Thanks for the reminder
ReplyDeleteI am on a reading adventure too this year. I found over 160 books sitting on the shelves in my house that I have not read. I started a separate blog, so it will be interesting to see if we read the same books!!
ReplyDelete