Josh Wilson is one my favorite Christian musicians. He sang the song "I Refuse" which became a sort of anthem for me while serving as Relief Society President. I was thrilled to know he has a new song and equally thrilled when I read the story behind the lyrics. Here is my facebookpost:
I heard this song at just the right time today and instantly fell in love with it! This song speaks to my heart! I did a little research into the song and found out that Josh Wilson also struggles with anxiety. This makes me love the song even more. So sit back, relax, and enjoy...as we all are "pushing back the dark" in one way or another:)
http://youtu.be/I1nBkI9by0o
The story behind "Pushing Back the Dark"
...
Jul 18 | Posted by: Josh |
I was in seventh grade. It was five minutes until our Wednesday night youth service, and I was hiding, sitting on the cold tile of a bathroom in a dark corner of our church. They were about to start the worship music, and I was supposed to be playing guitar. I told them I was sick and couldn't go.
I wasn't sick. I was scared.
I was scared of what everyone else might think of me. What if I messed up? What if I failed miserably? God had given me a talent and passion for music, but I was afraid to use it. To this day, the darkness of doubt pushes me to avoid my calling.
Last year, as I was working on this album, that darkness became tangible as I began to struggle with anxiety and panic attacks. At one point, I thought I might have to quit music altogether. But God promises to never leave or forsake us, and He kept that promise. As he carried me through the rest of the record, I realized that there will always be darkness pushing me to hide. At some point, though, every Christ-follower has to realize that we carry a sacred, burning light that is infinitely more powerful than the lies of the enemy. Your light might seem small, but even the smallest act of love can illuminate the shadows.
To every single mother, every missionary, every doctor and poet, every seventh grader who is scared to sing in youth group, every truck driver, politician, and school teacher, anyone who is rich, poor, young or old: someone else desperately needs the light you carry. I think it's time that we each take that light and start pushing back the dark.
http://youtu.be/I1nBkI9by0o
The story behind "Pushing Back the Dark"
...
Jul 18 | Posted by: Josh |
I was in seventh grade. It was five minutes until our Wednesday night youth service, and I was hiding, sitting on the cold tile of a bathroom in a dark corner of our church. They were about to start the worship music, and I was supposed to be playing guitar. I told them I was sick and couldn't go.
I wasn't sick. I was scared.
I was scared of what everyone else might think of me. What if I messed up? What if I failed miserably? God had given me a talent and passion for music, but I was afraid to use it. To this day, the darkness of doubt pushes me to avoid my calling.
Last year, as I was working on this album, that darkness became tangible as I began to struggle with anxiety and panic attacks. At one point, I thought I might have to quit music altogether. But God promises to never leave or forsake us, and He kept that promise. As he carried me through the rest of the record, I realized that there will always be darkness pushing me to hide. At some point, though, every Christ-follower has to realize that we carry a sacred, burning light that is infinitely more powerful than the lies of the enemy. Your light might seem small, but even the smallest act of love can illuminate the shadows.
To every single mother, every missionary, every doctor and poet, every seventh grader who is scared to sing in youth group, every truck driver, politician, and school teacher, anyone who is rich, poor, young or old: someone else desperately needs the light you carry. I think it's time that we each take that light and start pushing back the dark.



No comments:
Post a Comment