Sunday, November 25, 2012

Our Boy Jake

All of Joe's basketball players become family throughout the season.  Our boys hang out at our house after home games to have cookies and milk and play games.  This week we lost one of our boys in a tragic accident.  He survived a multiple car collision in Los Angeles but then was hit by oncoming traffic as he tried to cross the freeway.  This picture shows 3 of our boys as Seniors in 2006.  Ryan Whalen (left), Lucky Barrett (center), and Jake Richter (right).
Jake was probably the best basketball player Joe has ever coached.  
This picture was taken on a game day.  Ryan (left), Jake (center), and Lucky (right).
Joe and Jansen took the news really hard, as we all did.  Everyone has their own way of grieving so I was very pleased when Joe posted this post on facebook.  The comments it generated provided much healing to all of Jake's friends.  This is Joe's post:

I lost one of "my boys" today and I am so overwhelmed with heartache I can hardly breathe. Jake Richter was a beautiful basketball player and I am so proud to have had him call me coach. To all my players out there I hope you know how much you all mean to me. I want so much for all of you to succeed and find true happiness in life. It's times like this that we come together as a family. I wan
t so bad to gather all of you around me like it was the end of practice and let you know it will be all right. I need to have that reassuring sound of hard breathing, sweaty bodies, and high fives and one last team huddle with Jake in it. What I wouldn't give for that right now. To Lucky, Cory, Ryan and Tyler...hang in there I share in your loss and pain. Remember I used to say never lean on yourself when you get tired but instead find a teammate. It's time to do that now. To all of my former players in Red Lodge, Hamilton and St Anthony...I love you and hope all is well with you.

To Jake...I sent you one last text message tonight...don't worry about responding...I know you got it.

You will always be one of "my boys". Take care and I look forward to seeing you again. Bring it in boys...on 3...FAMILY!

Coach Jessop

No comments:

Post a Comment