Tortoise:Hare as Allie's Internet:What She Thought Was High Speed.
As Glenn Beck would say...Let me tell you how I go there.
First a phone call:
My brother Jordan wants to come to Montana and install a brand new ACN Video Phone. He asks me if I have high speed. I reply, "Heck yeah I do".
Then a fun but too short visit:
Both Jordan and my dad come to Montana to set up previously mentioned video phone because remember I have high speed internet...right? Umm, no...our video phone behaved more like a poorly dubbed, pixelated (sp?) foreign film. FRUSTRATING!
So we call Internet Service Provider:
We though we were paying for 1 MB download speed but run a speed test at speakeasy.net only to find that we actually have about 800 kbs download and less than 300 kbs upload. Are you kidding me? After a long phone call with a "professional whistler" named Tarang (yes, you heard me right...Tarang), I got my hopes up for an upgrade with "guaranteed gold class service" and "high priority technician" only to find that the service is not available in our area! Oh Goodie! Glad I wasted my cell phone minutes on that call!
The Switch:
Today we actually switched providers and have blazing high speed. Of course it took all afternoon to reconfigure the router. (Thanks for the help bro!) But now we are surfing at the speed of light, well almost. Now we have 15M download and 1030 k upload. Quite a significant difference!
The Cancellation:
Okay so we're up and running and now one more thing to do...cancel turtle provider. One catch...there is a $100 cancellation fee! Umm, excuse me? They can't give us any higher speeds or we would have stayed with them! So because I think in terms of pre-collegiate testing for fun, I come up with plan B. If I keep their service and pay 2 more months (2*20=$40) I save money! I cancel in July and receive no penalty whatsoever! The sales associate (no it wasn't my buddy Tarang) was overwhelmed with my brilliance as was I!
So unlike the tortoise and the hare....Slow and steady did not win the race in the quest for modern technology! And the video phone is too cool!!!!



Well, I'm glad to see you back up to speed!! Hopefully that means more pictures and more updates! LOL
ReplyDelete