This month for Book Club we are reading Plain and Simple: A Woman's Journey to the Amish. I did NOT want to read it at first but I am so glad that I changed my mind. It is an easy-read 150 page book about Sue Bender's journey to the Amish which started through her love of Amish quilts. Yeah, you can see why I didn't want to read it. However, once I started, I was riveted and couldn't put the book down. I am truly inspired and nourished by having read it. I hope that all the women reading this will take the time to find it in your local library. Here are 2 quotes I loved from the book and will give you a feel for it:
Sue Bender observes of the Amish family she stayed with, "They lived with a short cord and lived fully, while I had a long cord and was always tripping over it."
She compares her life to a ninepatch quilt throughout the book. Towards the end she states, "The world still comes to me in fragments, but I see now that the fragments themselves are not the enemy. If the pattern is strong enough, they will form a whole."
This book is very soul searching both to the author and the reader. Reading it made me long for a more plain and simple life. What an interesting insight into the Amish religion/culture. This is a must read for your summer reading!
love, allie



No comments:
Post a Comment