Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Magical Old People

Today I was reading about when Christ asked the Nephite apostles to bring him the records.  He was surprised they hadn't recorded any of the fulfilled miracles from Samuel's prophecies and requested for them to be added into the records.  It got me thinking that maybe I have forgotten to write about some important things even though I am an avid journal writer.  As I prayed about what I may have forgotten, I knew immediately I needed to write about my sweet friend John Schulz.

One of my favorite things in movies is looking for magical old people.  You know the ones...the old lady in Home Alone 2 who has the doves, the grandma in any Hallmark movie who always has nuggets of wisdom to drop on the couple struggling to make decisions, the grandpa who puts his arm around his son and says there's more to life than making money.  Yep!  I look for magical old people all around me and I always find them right when I need them most:)

When we moved back into our home after a short while in St Anthony, I returned back to the Canyons Athletic Club and saw an older gentleman sitting on a weight bench just staring way far away.  He looked so sad. The Spirit whispered to me that he needed to feel God's love.  I am never one to ignore a prompting and so I cautiously approached trying not to startle him.  We started talking and I found out that he was 40 years older than me and had recently lost his wife.  Oh how he was missing her!  Was it a coincidence that my name was the same as one of his daughters nicknamed Allie?  I believe it was more of a God Wink!  I felt drawn to him day after day.  He would always greet me with a joke of the day and I joked that he should start a comedy club!  John and his friend Lois would always hang out at the table after their workout and on days when I had time, I would spend fifteen to thirty minutes talking to them and talking about the goodness of God!  John gave me magical advice when I was struggling in my marriage.  John was a wealth of wisdom when trying to survive my children's teenage years.  Whenever I approached his table, he would stand up.  He said that's the way his mama raised him;)  I always felt like royalty in his presence and looked forward to seeing him.

Then Corona...

John was scheduled for a heart surgery in California in March so I knew he'd be gone for an extended time 
but
I.  still.  worried. when I didn't see him.  Then the gym closed.  Then I didn't return to the gym for months.

Imagine my joy when I ran into him at Super One two months ago.  He had a joke of the day for me.  I laughed and embraced my sweet magical old person.  Weeks went by and the world started feeling heavy. John felt the weight.  I saw John at the club on a Wednesday.  He looked sad again and said he didn't have a joke for me.  He looked tired and worn out from the world news.  The Spirit whispered that I shouldn't leave without once again letting him know how good God was.  "End this conversation on a positive note"...the Spirit whispered.  Bring joy!  Bring light like he always has for you!  So I did.

Fast forward one week and I accidentally clicked on the obituaries on Ravalli Republic instead of local news.  John Schulz?  No!  Not my magical friend!  I looked at his age... 88.  No!  Please God no!  2020 has taken so much from me but please not my John!  I stared at my phone in denial.  The obituary said he died Thursday.  But I had just seen him Wednesday!  I had no idea that was the last conversation I'd ever have with him on this earth.  I hope I brought him some joy.  I know he always brought me joy!  I look forward to his joke of the day when we meet again on the other side of the veil.  As the tears rolled down my cheeks, my husband smiled and said, "Yes!  He's finally with his sweet wife!!"

The Canyons just isn't the same for me since he's left.  Oh how I miss him and would love to hear one more sage piece of wisdom.  I wish I could thank him for helping me through dark days of depression.  I wish I could hug him and see that twinkle in his eyes and smile one more time.  That day we met, I thought I was sent on an errand from God to bring love but over the ten years I was privileged to be his friend, I now realize that I am the one who needed John in my life!  God sent John to me not the other way around;)

I hope you all have the privilege to have these type of magical old people surrounding you throughout your mortal journey.  Listen to what they have to say!  Remind them of God's love!  Teach them that families can be forever!  I am a better person for having had John Schulz in my life:)  

So yep...that's what I forgot to record earlier.  Rest in Peace my sweet magical person!
John Schulz 
April 19, 1932 ~ September 17, 2020 (age 88)

No comments:

Post a Comment