Now that I am taking a creative writing class, I get to do 15 minute free writes every day. I am absolutely loving this type of playing and figured I would share some of my favorites with family and friends. Our textbook told us that writers need to eat the world! My new observation journal is doing just that. So here goes:
The other day in
primary we were singing the familiar song, “Singing a Song is Fun to Do”. I had the kids think of some new year’s
resolutions and then we inserted the verb along with an action to the tune of
the song. One of the kids wanted to read
more books. What action could we
use? Many kids turned imaginary pages,
and some pantomimed using their fingers to follow the words. As I looked to the back of the room where our
senior primary sits, I noticed an interesting action….Swiping! Oh how times have changed. Obviously, these kids were used to reading on
either their kindles or ipads. The other
adults in the room were equally surprised as I was. Of course when we sing Scripture Power, all
the kids hold up their scriptures in various forms. Some have the missionary blue Book of Mormon,
some have the quad combination, some have an Ipod, some of the teachers of have
ipads they hold up. The scriptures come
in so many different mediums now but oh how I miss turning the pages of my own
old seminary triple combination
scriptures.
Obviously the words we
read in the scriptures are what matter most but what if we could experience the
scriptures with all five senses? My nine
year old daughter commented the other night as we were getting ready to read
the scriptures before bedtime that she loved the sound of the scriptures! I
guess I had never thought of it but that’s why I don’t like reading digital
versions of the scriptures. I love the
sound too! It’s one of the most soothing
sounds I can think of. As she held my
scriptures in her hand, she made the book go in a wavelike motion where you
could hear a deep, low crunkle of the whole book. “That’s nothing,” I said,” listen to this!” I then proceeded to turn the pages one by
one. To me, there is nothing in the word
like the sound of turning the pages in a set of scriptures. Sometimes as the pages make their crinkling
sounds, it sounds like the pages are going to rip right out of the binding, but
they never do. I am always amazed at how
such thin the paper is able to hold such heavy messages! The other thing I noticed is how the paper
looks plain on the edges until you shut the book and then my daughter joked, “It looks like the gold plates!” The gold shimmers as if inviting the reader
to come find the hidden treasure inside!
Scriptures have a definite smell too.
Mine smell like brown leather and colored pencil. The smell that I know hides in its pages is a
salty residue from the many tears I have cried as the Holy Ghost has brought
comfort, and answers to deep heartfelt prayers.
We covered four of the five senses which leaves taste. Obviously I am not going to lick my
scriptures but I can promise you that I can’t wait to feast on them!



No comments:
Post a Comment