Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Carrying the Backpack

I was at a loss of what to write next when this happened as I was heading to work out.  Just goes to show how many writing prompts are all around as I learn to eat the world as a benevolent cannibal;)



A little toddler with two blonde curly pigtails was walking into to the Canyons Athletic Club this morning with her mother.  As the mom picked up her pace down the sidewalk, the little girl slowed hers.  The toddler had a backpack on her that was bigger than she was!  The backpack was almost dragging on the ground it was so large.  “Become a benevolent cannibal,” I mused to myself as I recalled what I had just read in my textbook.  A writer needs to eat the world!  I was ready and so was my iphone.  I held the door for the other patrons coming to work out until the mom was close enough for me to ask her if I could please take a picture of her daughter.  I explained to her that I needed a prompt for a free write based on a photo and this image would certainly do the job! 
I thought about life and how we all are carrying our own proverbial backpacks.  The last few years I have carried the backpack that felt larger than I was.  Anxiety and Depression weighed me down.  Yes, those words will always be capitalized from now on.  The little girl couldn’t keep up with her mom’s brisk pace.  Her snowboots clomped one step at a time.  The mom, realizing her child was being left behind turned back and asked, “Honey, do you want me to carry it for you?”  A very determined rosy cheek cherub face peaked out from her pink puffy coat as she responded, “No, mommy…I can do it!”  I have learned so many valuable lessons as I have struggled with anxiety disorder among which was this principle.  As much as people around me wanted to help me push back the dark, deep down I knew that I was the only one that could do it.  I knew the backpack was mine to carry.
As the toddler neared the entrance, she had triumph in her eyes.  She had carried her load and was almost inside the nice, warm club.  I noticed something interesting in the behavior of the mother.  As the girl got closer to her destination the mom slowed her pace so by the time they reached the doors, they were walking together at the same pace.  The little girl had not sped up yet she had an increase of confidence knowing someone was walking with her.  I again thought about my battle with Depression.  I chose not to go the route of anti-depressants.  Instead, I chose to slow down my life and you know what…it took some time but it worked.  Learning how to say No was one of the hardest things I have ever done but the results have been amazing.  At times it felt like everyone was breezing right past me and at times it felt like my backpack was dragging on the ground and would certainly tip me over but I kept on walking although sometimes it felt like plodding in heavy snowboots. 
We all have our own backpacks.  The load I was carrying has helped me be more empathetic to those around me carrying loads much larger.  But just as the determined little three year old, I know if I just keep putting one step in front of the other that I will eventually make it out of the 20 degree windy weather into the 70 degree warmth of the final destination.  I also learned as cliché as it may sound that I was never walking alone.  I know my Savior walked with me every painful step of the way.  Through Him, I found my strength and confidence to carry on.  As I held the door opened for the mom and the little happy girl, I had an epiphany.  Sometimes we are the ones that get to hold the door for others and sometimes we are the one that need the door held open for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment