Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Amazing April

Will has been looking forward to April for a whole year. April is the month he turned 14 and April is the month he got to go to Washington DC! He took over 300 pictures which I am still sifting through so the DC Trip will get its own post, complete with videos! But here is a little teaser photo;)


Back to Work:  April started out with me all of a sudden going back to work.  The gal who was hired for the position I had last year in the Speced Department of the High School had her baby 2 months early.  So I got to back to work for a few weeks:)  I was supposed to finish out the school year as a sub for her but quickly found out that more "rest" is needed for me to heal.  Yeah, I was bummed it didn't work out but I saw myself deteriorating back into the abyss of anxiety and decided to listen to my body.  Although it was hard to acknowledge that my health issues aren't resolved enough to be a part of the work place, I think I made a huge breakthrough by doing what's best for me.  I have to put on my own oxygen mask before I can put it on anyone else!

Going back to work made me appreciate the role I have as mom.  I was a pretty lousy mom and wife  while I was working because all of my energy was drained by the end of the school day so yeah, we had a lot of Pizza Hut pizza;)  Thankfully we discovered the chicken, bacon pizza!  I realized that being a mom is the highest privilege and no amount of money can ever compensate for the joy I feel when I am fulfilling my heavenly role.  I found myself spending a ton of time with Kristen this month.  I am trying to hold on to her childhood years and know they are flying fleetingly by!  I will love it while it lasts and hopefully I can manage my anxiety instead of it managing me so I can enjoy just being mom again!

Kristen let me play with her hair this month.  We experimented with all sorts of braids but her hair is still a little too short for me to try out the styles I want to try out. 
Spring in the Bitterroot:  The day before this photo was taken, I had actually been sunbathing in 70 degree weather.  Oh how I love the sunshine!  So when within a matter of minutes, our world turned into a snow globe once again, I was bummed out.  But then I decided to see the beauty in all of God's creations and wow!  How can I complain when it looks like this!

Easter Egg Hunt at the Hudsons:
Every year the Hudsons hold an easter egg hunt in their yard.  Families come from the three wards and friends from the community gather for the festivities.  We have missed the last couple of years.  This year though I was bound and determined not to miss out on childhood memories with Kristen.  As luck would have it, my close friend Kristin Kanenwisher had snuck into town for the weekend right when I needed a friend the most!  I'm not sure how she did it, but I had a totally normal day that Friday...anxiety free!  Thanks friend!  And thank you God!
 
Here is Kristen with her sweet friend Natalie:)
And here is my photographer for the event;)
All the kids brought a dozen filled plastic eggs.  The older kids and adults hid them all over the hillside and then the hunt began!


Coloring Easter Eggs:  This year, Kristen was the only one interested in coloring eggs.  Not gonna lie...it hurt my heart that nobody would help.  But then daddy came to the rescue so she wasn't alone!  Look how happy she is!

I finally learned how to make a perfectly boiled egg.  Apparently I have done it wrong my whole life.  This year, the eggs were perfectly boiled without the nasty green ring on the yolk!  Yes!  Traditionally we just buy the Paas Easter Egg Dying Kit...
  

but this year we did a little searching on Pinterest and learned how to dye eggs in whipped cream!
  
 I had seen instructions on how to do eggs in shaving cream but they had a disclaimer saying you probably shouldn't eat them after 24 hours because the chemicals seep through the shell.  So when we found someone doing this with whipped cream, we knew we had to try it.  All we did was fill a pan with spray whipped topping.  Then you drop gel food coloring and swirl it with a knife to get cool designs.  Next, you roll the egg from one end of the pan to the other and let sit for 10 minutes.  They were messy getting out but they turned out beautiful!  Some we just did a quick rinse under water but others we wiped clean with paper towels and their colors were much more vibrant.
  
 Will finally decided to join in towards the end of the process;)
 
Easter Sunday 2014:
The Anatomy of a Photo Shoot





Kristen lost interest in the photo shoot before I got the perfect shot so I let her take a break to play with Mr. Whiskers, our cat...
Then we showed off her new high heel shoes...
Okay, just a couple more...

 "Mom, the sun is in my eyes!" 
 I was frustrated that I hadn't captured the perfect shot yet but agreed to let her be done.  I felt defeated but this is what happened next...











 And finally....
THE PERFECT SHOT!
Happy Easter everyone!

Shortly after I posted this on Instagram, my dear sister Leslie inquired about what happened to the rest of the kids;)  Yeah, that's what I wanted to know too!  I begged Will and Carlie for a picture.  Will got this selfie of him...
But I wanted one of all three kids so I asked them to do a selfie in the car on the way to church and this is what I got!
Wow!  Love my kids!
Little Miss Kris:  Just cuz!



Creative Spelling Homework:  Use all your spelling words on a scrabble board!  Add up the value of the letters of each word and then add up the values as it plays out on a scrabble board (double word, double letter, etc).  Homework has never been this fun!


Will's 14!


Happy Birthday Will!  
So even though we all knew that the DC Trip was Will's birthday present, it just wouldn't be right to not have presents, right?  Money was a bit tight after Will's emergency double root canal right before DC but we managed to have a little left over.  Only problem was Joe thought Will's birthday was still a week away;)  So we went shopping on his birthday and opened gifts after school!  Haha! And thankfully, mimi and papa's card came in right on time too!


But Will ended up getting exactly what he wanted!  Rocksmith!  Maybe I will learn how to play the electric guitar too!
 
Here is what I posted to his FB Wall:  Happy 24 hours of facebook notifications day! I am so blessed to be your mom:). Thank you for being my protector, friend, and personal comedian! You are destined for great and wonderful things and I am so proud of the young man you have become! Hope you enjoyed your trip to dc and whatever other gifts may happen to come your way;)

Shonas's Back! 
What a great way to end April...Don and Rachel are back!  They left the first week of December to spend the holidays in New Zealand with Rachel's family and then headed straight to California to stay with Justin and Christina for the winter.  Since they are in the Horse training industry they needed to be somewhere warm;)  We are so excited to welcome them back home to Montana!   
 To say we missed them would be an understatement.  Shona and Kristen just picked right up where they left off...giggling, playing dressup, and jumping on the trampoline.  Shona brought Kristen a special friendship necklace from New Zealand!  Personally, I am happy that Don and Rachel have returned too.  For the record, they were gone way too long.  
But now that they're back, all is right in the world once more:)

Final Thought:
Jansen is just a few days away from completing his freshman year at Utah State University.  This text from him a couple of weeks ago is too funny not to share.  Jansen we love you!  Can't wait for you to get home this weekend!  So in his words...

 So I just had one of the blondest moments of my entire life. I needed to go to the bathroom really bad so I hurried into our bathroom but as I was about to go I realized we were completely out of toilet paper. So i was pretty proud of myself because I had dodged a major bullet. That's a situation no one wants to be in. So i decided that i would go to the public restroom that was outside and down the hall. so I went to go put my shoes on. I put my shoes, immediately forgot why i was putting them on proceeded to poop in out toilet paperless bathroom. Midway through I was like “Crap there is no TP in here and now i remember why i put my shoes on.” so i used empty toilet paper rolls that were on the ground to wipe which was super uncomfortable but necessary as i had no other options. In my frustration i forgot i was using Toilet paper rolls and put them in the bowl to flush. Fun fact of the day...toilet paper rolls are card board. needless to say there was no flushing occurring so i had to dig my hand into the bow to get them out. This is the worst day of my life and it all boiled down to me forgetting why i put my shoes on. I don’t know whose idea it was for me to live on my own but clearly they were wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment