Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Lessons from Yoga

Jansen leaves to Utah State University tomorrow.  My heart feels as though it is about ready to burst as I think of him going out into the real world.  Did I prepare him enough?  Did I teach him well?  Is he ready?  Well, ready or not...

Today while I was doing my Daily Yoga, I paid close attention to every little instruction.  I noticed that at the end of each pose, the instructor would quietly say, "Breathe Easily.  Get ready for the next posture."  Sometimes the pose would challenge my balance and I was so ready to move on but other poses felt great and I didn't want to change postures yet.

Joe and I have been in a comfortable posture raising our four children under one roof.  Our 20th wedding anniversary is also tomorrow.  We have been through many life transitions together.  We have now been together longer than we have been apart!  This next posture in life though, with one leaving the nest, has already challenged both of us.  Last night we sat outside in the rocks talking and crying our way through our emotions.  We have to remind each other to breathe easily as we get ready for the next posture.

I am fully confident that Jansen is capable of making wise decisions.  He is a young man full of integrity and character.  These qualities will serve him well as he ventures into life as a college student.  We will miss his playful attitude that draws us closer as a family.  We will miss the sound of his car pulling into the driveway.  We will miss him playing his guitar.  We will miss the sound of his voice and the sound of his footsteps on our hardwood floor as he heads to the fridge;)  And yes, I will even miss stepping over the piles of clothes in his room to tiptoe to his bed and gently wake him as we talk about the adventures of the previous evening.  He is definitely more ready to leave than I am for him to leave so I know he will be fine.  All that is required of me is to trust in the Lord and breathe easily as I get ready for this next posture!

No comments:

Post a Comment