Thursday, May 24, 2012

Happy Divine Womanhood Day!

     I think the name Mother's Day should be changed to Divine Womanhood Day.  Okay, someone would have to help me with a marketing slogan but you get the idea.  I have many dear friends who are not married nor do they have any children.  But Mother's Day celebrates the divinity of womanhood...with or without kids.  Every woman in our ward 18 and up received Lindor chocolate truffles!  I received several texts throughout the day from my favorite single women friends wishing me a Happy Mother's Day and wanted to wish them one too so I responded, "Happy Divine Womanhood Day to you too!"  (Again, I mention the need for someone's marketing savvy)

     One of my favorite parts of Mother's Day is a tradition in our ward to have all women come in from their respective callings for one grand Relief Society class.  The Elder's Quorum takes over primary and the Bishopric teaches the Young Women so once a year we can all gather as "Sisters in Zion" in the Hamilton Ward.  This year the lesson was taught by my 2nd counselor Liesl.  I told Liesl that I wanted a positive, upbeat lesson where everyone left feeling happy and uplifted...but no pressure.  We were trying to avoid the past mistakes of phrases such as "Don't bring your kids visiting teaching with you because they are ruining our carpets" and the ever popular phrase to go down in Mother's Day history "the children running amuck".  I didn't want this to be a guilt trip on visiting teaching, mothering, or working outside the home.  Last year, while in Idaho, I heard Hamilton had a sweet feast on chocolate dipped strawberries and the like.  I can't believe I missed it!  However, our relief society presidency decided to take a simple approach and I was pleased with the result.  Everyone did leave happier and more confident in their abilities and talents as a woman.
 

     This picture summarizes the whole lesson.  Which flower do you see yourself as?  Is any one flower better than the other?  What would happen if we switched out one flower for a different kind?  Kind of like the ward boundaries being redrawn?  Each of us as a woman has unique talents and attributes that contribute to the whole of the bouquet.  I also like the two books on display, "Forget Me Not" and "Small and Simple Things".  I was overjoyed at the beautiful simplicity of the lesson and everyone felt the sweet spirit and sisterhood that we have been missing since the ward boundaries changed.  I realize the beauty of our new bouquet more than ever!
    
     So as if that didn't make the day perfect, my son Jansen wrote me a letter during Sunday School.  Every question I have ever had regarding my mothering effect on my teenager was answered in a sincere yet humorous letter of gratitude and appreciation.  I will cherish his note forever.  Joe thought I was crazy because I slept with it under my pillow that night as if the love from it would lullaby me to sleep.  Thanks Jans!  You made my Mother's Day complete.  Of course I loved the new Ninja Blender, Crayon pictures colored by Kris, earrings and Almond Joy from Will, bike from Car (lol), bracelet, and kind acts of service from the kids but nothing beats being told how much you are loved and needed.  So to all my friends who don't have a seventeen year old son to tell you thank you...here it is from me.  You are amazing women embraced with divine potential and a capacity to love and nurture like no one else.  You are overflowing with talents and skills that make you who you are.  You are the flowers in the bouquet of life that make it unique, special, and oh so fragrant!  Without you, the bouquet would not be complete.  Happy Divine Womanhood Day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment