Sunday, April 8, 2012

Viva Las Vegas

Allie with Bumble Bee?
Joe with Elvis?Following the tail lights of Betsey's car?

Nope, it's not Venice....
Nor is it Paris, France...New York City? Nope...wrong again!
It could only be Las Vegas my friend!
I have a few things on my bucket list...going to The Venetian in Vegas was one of them.
CHECK!!!! And WOW!
I was not disappointed!
Vegas caused an overload of the senses. Bright lights, casino noises, and the smell of cigarette smoke was almost more than I could handle. But the endless array of buffets was almost too good to be true! In our two night stay I ate everything from crab legs, lobster ravioli with shrimp sauce, asian cuisine, and turkish kabobs to cheesecake, chocolate dipped strawberries, and my first delightful encounter with creme-brulee! Yummo! In a city of everything in excess, I certainly got my fill at the buffets!

Vegas has also now been added to my list of triggers for anxiety. Driving for 12 hours to get there (carsick), riding in scenic view (aka: glass elevators), staying on the 24th floor (forgot how afraid of heights I am), the endless escalators and elevators (woggly tummy), and being left alone in a hotel without phone contact with Joe hanging out with his coworkers from Leaders Institute, and the blisters on my feet from the unexpected walking and walking and walking the strip all caused me to wonder what the hype about Vegas was all about. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas right?

But then again, I was able to enjoy SUNSHINE as I laid out by the pool, I was able to enjoy some "me" time, and did I mention the food? Joe and I were mesmerized by Cirque de Soleil! So worth the trip...anxieties and all. And the best part....seeing my sister Betsey for the first time in over two years! Holding onto her and hugging her with tears of joy while she hugged back! AMAZING! Unfortunately, Joe was unable to snap the candid picture of Betsey that I had requested. But trust me...it was real! And it was monumental on miraculous proportions:)

So while I braved everything that Vegas is....Kristen was hanging out and having a blast with Jordan, Julie and crew while the other kids held down the fort back in Hamilton.
I am glad I got to experience Vegas but it was soooo not my scene. I was elated when we ran into some ward friends unexpectedly and got to go to the Venetian and Bellagio with them:) Joe texted the bishop back home that the Relief Society President and Young Women President were partying it up in Vegas! Ha! Ha! It was weird how a city could make you feel like you were supposed to be evil and succumb to the natural man. But don't worry...I came out unscathed! Viva Las Vegas!

No comments:

Post a Comment