Tuesday, November 10, 2009

That's What You Get

I have completely brainwashed my kids into listening to music 24/7. Thankfully we all still have the same taste in music. However, as was pointed out in a talk on Sunday, we have to be careful what we let the kids listen to. Case in point....Katy Perry's "Waking Up in Vegas". Sure it has a catchy tune and to be honest, I don't think I really paid attention to that particular song's lyrics until Will started asking me questions about it. Why do they have to shake the glitter off? What does shut up and put your money where your mouth is mean? Are they singing about being drunk? I didn't have a single good answer and the more I tried to explain, the dumber I sounded. However, the inappropriateness of the song hit me when my 4 year old Kris was singing out at the top of her lungs. Fortunately she has no clue what the song is about and I like her lyrics much better, instead of "That's what you get for waking up in Vegas"...she sings "That's what you get for waking up the BABIES!" Too cute!

So then I started wondering what other music she was re-lyric-ing (I know that's not a word but it is now). Imagine my surprise to hear her singing Miley Cyrus' Party in the USA. "Put my hands up, they're playing my song and the BUTTER flies away!" Noddin my head like yeah, Kris! I can only imagine her little brain processing a song about flying butter! Kristen has also renamed books like Skippy O Jones (Skippy Jon Jones). But my favorite Kristen-ism is Pall Nellish....nail polish, of course! Now that she is 4, I know her days of re-lyric-ing, renaming, and mispronunciation are coming to an end. In the meantime I find myself wondering exactly what will I get if I wake up the babies?

No comments:

Post a Comment