In this age of digital technology, I have really missed the feel of scripture pages between my fingers. Sure scrolling through scriptures is a light weight solution to my church bag but this year I felt the pull to switch back to paper...as heavy as my church bag may be;) One of the treasures I have found as I heft my scriptures everywhere are the easy access to footnotes. I know digital versions of the scriptures have footnotes that are only a click away but somehow seeing the footnotes on my paper copy have made my study of the Old Testament so much more insightful. I'd like to share with you just one insight I have gleaned.
Isaiah 40:31 says, "But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."
I'm pretty sure I could write a whole book on this verse but for some reason during Sunday School class we were talking about the word "wait". What does it mean to wait upon the Lord? The teacher asked does it mean to be impatiently tapping your foot? One person offered that maybe it meant like a waitress or a server. However, as I sat holding the scriptures on my lap, my eye caught the footnote 31a HEB hope for, or anticipate. I raised my hand and shared the following story.
I'm pretty sure I could write a whole book on this verse but for some reason during Sunday School class we were talking about the word "wait". What does it mean to wait upon the Lord? The teacher asked does it mean to be impatiently tapping your foot? One person offered that maybe it meant like a waitress or a server. However, as I sat holding the scriptures on my lap, my eye caught the footnote 31a HEB hope for, or anticipate. I raised my hand and shared the following story.
I told the class that last night was Kristen's 13th birthday party. (Yep, my baby is a teenager!) Kristen prepared every detail of the party and was ready for her guests to arrive. The layered cake was frosted, the decorations were up, the games were planned, the activities were neatly written in her notebook. Kristen was so excited as she saw the first car turn down the road of our cul-de-sac. She was ready and couldn't wait for her friends to enjoy the festivities she had planned.
I offered that if we took the Hebrew meaning of the word wait along with the example of Kristen's hopeful anticipation of her party, we get a whole different perspective. Just as Kristen prepared for her party, we too are spiritually preparing to one day meet our Savior Jesus Christ wether in this life or the next. We have things that need to get done just as the cake had to be made and frosted, the decorations hung, and the plan written for the night. We need to pray, study the scriptures, serve our neighbors, and set realistic goals that bring us closer to God. As the time draws nearer we will become more and more excited to greet our Savior. Can you imagine how different life would be instead of impatiently tapping our foot waiting on the Savior if we were more like, "Hey, I can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for me next!" Or wow, this trial is so hard but I hope I will learn something awesome. Or even anticipating the next phase of life with hope and enthusiasm just as a child excited for their party to start.
The teacher thanked me for my comment and then another class member had an "aha" moment of her own.... So the word "wait" is not a passive word....it is an active verb! We then had an incredible discussion on how we can actively "wait" upon the Lord! I am so thankful for the words of Isaiah. I was scared going into the book but was surprised to find a comforting and peaceful familiarity with words I have read many times in the Book of Mormon! Speaking of which, I took the prophet's challenge and am reading the Book of Mormon by the end of the year. I hesitated to commit but then on November 1st decided to try it out. I made it to Alma today so I'm right on track to finish by New Years. I have been reading for one hour at a time for the first few days. I've never read the book like you know...a book. I am blown away by how many times I've used my trusty yellow colored pencil to highlight references to the Savior! I am so happy I accepted the challenge:)
I hope that this week as you discover what it means to "wait upon the Lord" in your life, that you might discover some fun insights and footnotes of your own;)
Hope everyone is having a great day:)





No comments:
Post a Comment