Dear Doug,
Today I battled the dragon of anxiety and came out victorious! The battle was epic in nature. I knew I was heading into a cave of darkness with my sweet daughter and I begged my love to take this cup from me. But alas, he had other ventures in far off kingdoms to contend with. So he left his queen and sweet princess to battle alone. The flames emanating from the dragon’s nostril as he slept filled the cave with a noxious odor which gave us a headache but we continued our quest. A flame shot out and caught the fair princess right in the throat. She started to whimper, then cried out. The queen …. Ok who are we kidding… Today Kristen and I went to the dentist. Silly to be so fearful but this is our story.
From the moment we entered the dental assistant’s lair, ahem I mean room, I knew we were in trouble. Not only was rock music blaring through the speakers but the overhead calm music was entangled to provide an atmosphere devoid of serenity or any sort of calm. No matter, we were there to check on Kristen’s chipped tooth. The bitewings commenced in horrific fashion. Indeed, I have cursed my children with tiny mouths and ridiculously strong gag reflexes. I squirmed as I saw my child in discomfort but knew I had to be the strong one. What a joke! I know dentists trigger my anxiety. Why had I gone? Why hadn’t I insisted that Joe go in my stead? Oh wait…I did! He claimed he had to work yet somehow in our moment of sheer agony he was working out at the club. Somehow, all the anger I have ever felt boiled to the surface and was directed at him as I pretended a smile and tried to help my little one stop crying. I had to remind her to breathe as not one but two dental hygienists tried to accomplish the impossible task. By the time the dentist entered the room, I knew we were doomed for bad news. I was right. Four cavities….$650 I don’t have set aside. I had successfully gotten my daughter to recommence breathing but now I was the one who needed a brown paper bag! The room was spinning as the dentist spoke a million miles an hour. I didn’t understand a thing he was saying…I just kept seeing dollar signs bathing in my daughter’s tears floating around the room. I foresaw subsequent visits and the toll that would take on my emotional health. I saw fear. I saw inadequacy as a mother. I saw anxiety.
The Queen armed herself with sword and shield and battled the unquenchable fiery flames of the beast throughout the remainder of the day and into the night. She felt as thought her heart may beat right out of her chest as she defended her young and her honor. Finally, as the sun retreated behind the mountains, the dragon gave up the fight and fled from the cave, leaving the Queen holding her heart and gasping for breath. As she leaned on her sword and wiped the sweat from her brow, her sweet princess hugged her and acknowledged the price that was paid on her behalf. The Queen took a labored step and stumbled against the side of the cave, scraping her hand as she caught herself and steadied her balance. One foot in front of the other she returned to the castle victorious yet exhausted! And she and the princess heaped much Caramel Toffee Crunch icecream into their goblets and commenced to put the day behind them! So yeah there’s more to the story like how Will was home sick, and how Carlie came to the rescue calming everyone down, and how Kristen started gymnastics again and how I thought I was having a heart attack while driving her there tonight and how I prayed with all my might that panic wouldn’t overtake me and it didn’t. But you get the idea… tomorrow is a new day and everything is always better in the morning!



No comments:
Post a Comment