Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Finding Heaven

I never knew free-verse could be so fun!  The following is a poem I wrote today for my creative writing class in honor of the little boy I have had the privilege to take care of for the last seven months.  Baby Carter has brought so much joy to our family and in the still, quiet moments I have found peace and meaning in life.  I hope you enjoy my free verse poem which is formatted into the shape of "zzzz"'s.  My baby has different plans for the summer so I only get to watch him two more times.  My heart is sad and I will miss him but I know he just lives down the road a bit.  Baby Carter, thank you for helping us all find a little bit of heaven!















                                                                      Finding Heaven

Cautiously I cradle the blanketed baby
                                                as the last
                                    drip-drip of milk
                        escapes the bottle.
            The harps plink-a-plink of lullabies hush the wild world.

The bundle of sweet smelling heaven
                                                sighs and hums
                                    as his lips continue
                        soothing sucking sounds.
            I inhale the moment of serenity and relax into the cushy chair.

I hold perfectly still careful not to
                                                shatter moments
                                    of surreal silence knowing
                        at any second,
                        a sniff or sneeze will awaken the chubby cherub from slumber.

A nap much needed for two tired bodies
                                                melding into each other.
                                    With each breath
                        we cradle each other

And the thumpety-thump of his heart hypnotizes me as I find heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment