Thursday, February 16, 2012

My First Funeral

Jean Z. died on the morning of Valentine's Day. We planned the funeral yesterday. We held the funeral today. Just like that, I successfully (with the help of an amazing bishop and high priest group leader, along with awesome counselors) survived my first funeral as the Relief Society President of Hamilton Ward. The service was short and sweet and the luncheon went without a hitch. I felt as though today was a test run for when someone else passes. Let me explain...

Ever since I accepted the calling as Relief Society President, I have been dreading the first funeral. I suppose I thought the first time would be hard because I love the sisters in our ward so much and have so many memories with them. Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to meet Jean Z. She joined the church while we were living in St. Anthony and by the time we returned to Hamilton, her health had started its downward spiral. Emotionally, I hurt for the family but was able to concentrate on the task at hand without being a basket case. I should have known Jean Z. because I was her visiting teacher for the last 3 months. Her health was so poor that I could never visit if my companion or I had a cough or the sniffles. I can never redo getting to know her now. Don't let a funeral be the first time you meet someone you visit teach:(

I kept very detailed notes on my responsibilities for a funeral. Thankfully, the luncheon was held for about 25 people. We thought we had planned for 50 but we no way would have had enough food had that many showed up. This was a good learning experience for me. My compassionate service leader ended up attending to her dying sister in Utah all of a sudden so my counselors and I muddled through without her. Jean Z. is the only member in her family so it was strange to me to have people in sweats and jeans and tshirts sitting in the chapel. However, as I stood up to lead the opening hymn "The Lord Is My Shepherd", none of that mattered.

I am so thankful for the learning experiences the Lord is giving me as I do my best to magnify this calling. Next time I will be more prepared and I am sure next time will be a much larger scale funeral. I am thankful to a merciful Lord who knows exactly what I need and gives it to me in doses I can handle. Although I never met Jean Z., she is now part of my history:)

No comments:

Post a Comment