Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas Shouldn't Smell Like Turnips

Christmas found us living in Grandma's house! Along with Ed, Allen, Grandma, Grandpa and Uncle Dee, there was never a dull moment. We woke up Christmas Eve morning to the smell of Dee's fried turnips and eggs with jalapenos along with a pot of freshly brewed exotic coffee with cayenne. Many traditions were left behind in the Hamilton house but some of our favorites were left intact in the Pinesdale house. While I was pouting in my room one night, the tree was decorated. For Allen, it was his first time ever having decorated a tree...I wish I hadn't been having a pity party so I could have enjoyed the moment with him. I poked my head out of the bedroom door and saw Allen's eyes and just like the song said, "Tiny tots with their eyes all aglow". Only Allen is twenty-something.

For me, it didn't feel like Christmas until right up to Christmas Eve. We made our traditional sugar cookies for Santa and then while the rest of the family was gone at a candlelight vigil, we had some special visitors...the Rogers! They had gone out of their way to come visit us in Pinesdale on Christmas Eve. What a surprise! Only then did it truly feel like Christmas being surrounded by close family friends. Even though I was completely out of my comfort zone living in a different house, driving a different car every day, and shuttling kids around like crazy, Santa still managed to work her...oh I mean his...magic!

Little Miss Kris woke up to exactly what she wanted...a Barbie house!

And Carlie, although camera shy on Christmas morning woke up to a new Steelers Football

and t-shirt....exactly what she wanted!

Next, Sir William added a new m&m dispenser to his collection but his pride and joy was the new humongous nerf gun...apparently too big and too fun to take pictures of;)
And for Jansen....well can you guess what this would be from reading the tag?
Yep! A Tebow Jersey! (If you don't get it...watch the SNL skit) Ha! Ha!
Joe and I decided not to get anything for each other for Christmas. Instead, we would save our money to buy a new vehicle. Whew! The pressure was off until the day before Christmas Ed let me in on a secret that Joe had actually bought me several gifts. So I panicked, headed into town and this is what I came up with;)
Don't worry, that's not all he got...I also got him a Christmas Story Ralphie watch!
Hey, you try buying something with zero notice. As a sidenote...finally in February I am enjoying my sweet ride in the 99 Expedition! Merry Christmas to everyone...a little late;)

2 comments:

  1. I read this post slowly, scrolling down as the sentence reached the bottom of the page, so seeing Joe (holding THE MOST AWESOME GIFT ever) actually brought a real, life LOL!!!

    And congrats on the new car!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe never looked cuter!! ROFLMBO

    ReplyDelete