October 31, 2011 Monday Halloween
I did more trick or treating last night than I have done in my entire life! As you know, Halloween is pretty much banned in our house. Two years ago, Will fell in with the Halloween lovingest family here in Hamilton. I am sure Halloween in their house is bigger than Christmas;) Will learned the art of trick or treating so there was no turning back….he became a Halloween junkie. Last year in Idaho he hooked up with a family who also celebrated Halloween like normal Americans. He and Kristen went door to door with this loving family filling their sacks to the brim with candy.
This year I decided to take Will and Kris trick or treating to the nth degree allowing them to decide where to go. They opted to skip the main street parade which quite surprised me but their reason was they wanted to carve pumpkins. Oh yeah….I kind of forgot about that part. Will and his friend Mark carved their own scary pumpkins
while Kris and I carved a much happier pumpkin complete with a bow on her stem.
After a hurried dinner we rushed over to the Trunk-or-Treat at the church parking lot. We were so late we almost missed the entire thing. We started our true trick or treating at Pogachar’s and then drove up to Ben’s neighborhood where the real trick or treating commenced. Thankfully we ran in to Ben so the trio of tweens in their capes and shiny pants went running from door to door. The little ladybug tried keeping up as fast as her legs would carry her but inevitably fell behind.
I drove the van from house to house, helping Kris get in and out as swiftly as possible. The warmth of the van was a welcome respite from the chilly air outside but I was just happy there wasn’t snow. After Ben’s neighborhood, we hit the Albert’s neighborhood and then ended with Mark’s neighborhood. By the end of the evening I was wiped out. We stopped at Mark’s house for the “trading post” to commence. I have never seen so much candy in all my life!
Kristen was worn out but had a huge smile on her face. As she grasped her little bag of m&ms in one hand a beanie baby tiger in the other (yes, one house gives beanie babies instead of candy every year), I realized I had created another Halloween convert.
And you know what, I am okay with that if it means spending an entire evening with the kids who still want to spend time with me!



No comments:
Post a Comment