Sunday, September 4, 2011

Shifting Focus

This was the year that was going to be all about me. Kristen is starting kindergarten so I now will have my days free to do whatever I want. First things first: school. Now is the time for me to finish what I started at BYU. Next, I can work as much as I want so I can earn more money for school. Finally I can go get certified as a Zumba Instructor and start teaching Zumba. Me, me, me, me, me! Thankfully, the Lord has something else in mind.

Today, Sunday Septemeber 5, 2011 I was set apart as the Relief Society President for the Hamilton Ward in the Stevensville, Montana Stake for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. In a nutshell, I am responsible for the temporal and spiritual well being of all the sisters in our ward. This is a huge calling and I should be terribly nervous, but thankfully I feel calm as can be. I have taken the Bishop’s advice and have surrounded myself with amazing and dependable counselors (Ronda and Holli) and secretary(Lisa). I am excited for our first presidency meeting so we can all get on the same page and begin magnifying our callings. I am amazed at how much my phone has already rung today with all of my new responsibilities. I think I have received more phonecalls today than I did the whole time living in Idaho.

Bishop Rogers set apart the new presidency during Relief Society in Relief Society. I am glad he did it that way. I feel like the sisters in that room are now on the same journey with me and my presidency. The blessings were short and simple. I believe the mission of our presidency is also to be one of simplicity. I believe we can still magnify our callings by keeping things simple. There are some things that will have to be sacrificed with such a heavy calling but family will not be one of them. So maybe I won’t get to certify to teach Zumba right now and thankfully subbing will allow me the flexibility to do my calling effectively. I will continue to pursue my college education but perhaps at not such a frenzied rate. I might actually take the whole week off to focus on getting the Relief Society kick-started in a positive and proactive direction.

I am thankful for this opportunity to serve and hope I will bring honor to this calling as have the Relief Society presidents who were before me. Shirley, Connie, Lavon and LeAnn (Idaho) are my role models and I will strive to emulate their Christ-like examples. I am thankful to a wise Father in Heaven who knows the last person I need to focus on is me. This new calling will offer so many opportunities to offer selfless service as I help minister to the needs of the sisters in our ward. I am excited to answer the call to serve and know the Lord will make me equal to the task if I shift my focus from me to "Thee".

2 comments:

  1. You're going to be FANTASTIC...I look forward to more little chats in my kitchen:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. . .I am speechless, and that takes a lot-LOL!!! Congrats/Sorry (not sure which sentiment is most appropriate)--You will be awesome, you an an excellent example of compassion and service. Rock of my RS Sister!!!

    ReplyDelete