Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Day in the Life...

A Day in the Life...

Subbing Stunk Today!! This was my worst day subbing. The first hour I had one special ed student. She spent the entire hour and a half re-doing her Lord of the Rings posters for Speech and Debate. It was hard to watch, with her sticky fingers smudging everything coupled with the fact that she can't cut a straight line either. I wanted so bad to do the project for her but I knew I couldn't. She's a great girl but it was frustrating for me because I knew my 11 year old Carlie could have done 100% better. Oh, well.

Then on to second period...Life Skills. The 5 kids in that class are working on a cool project. They are building paper 3-D furniture for their cardboard box houses. It seemed like a cool idea until I realized that only 2 of them can even cut them out, fold them, or tape them. So pretty much they colored for an hour and a half while I cut, folded, and taped. Shoot me now. The main conversation revolved around stinky farts...no seriously! I finally had to send one of the boys out to the bathroom because I was afraid that he might push something else out. He reeked! (Is that how you spell reek? I've actually never typed that word in my entire life!)

Third period...Prep. Ahh. I prepared for the upcoming math class and cleaned the classroom. I get paid for this?

Fourth period...Math Foundations. !@#$%^&*()*&^%$#@! This apparently is the only vocabulary spoken by most of the 14 students. These are the kids that are constantly in trouble, ISS, the Responsibility Room, or in the principal's office. Oooh...yay me! I passed out their tests to review the answers. They all had the chance to correct the wrong answers and get more points. Only one kid actually put the effort in to raise his grade. One of the students crumpled her test in open defiance and threw it in the trash. I informed her that I needed the tests back so the grade would be recorded to which she responded that I should dig through the trash to get it. WHATEVER! The next assignment went over just as horribly. Now we were reviewing for the semester final. Finally, we were supposed to play a game...you know our tax money hard at work! I couldn't get anyone to play so we spent the last half hour listening to mp3s, playing video games, and text messaging. I say we because that is what was going on in my classroom when the regular teacher came in before the bell rang. She was furious! I couldn't wait to get home. The phrase “wanna get away?” comes to mind.

So then I lost Carlie. She was supposed to ride the bus to the highschool but I had forgotten to tell her because she and Will went to Jump Rope at 6:30am. I had called the school and asked them to get the message to Carlie and Will...which they said they would. Needless to say, Will showed up alone at the High School. He hates the bus...I mean he HATES the bus so he was absolutely hysterical by the time he crumpled in my arms at the highschool. The Elementary school had no idea where Carlie was. I called our emergency contacts and nobody had seen her. So I went to the Jr High to pick up Jansen. Finally I called the school again and she had just shown up at the office. She had never gotten the message and was waiting in her classroom. Whew!

Once we got home it was homework, homework, housework, dinner, dishes and of course it was my night to tutor. Tutoring was actually a welcome relief. Zach is keeping up on his work and I am very proud of him. We worked on a paper called The Day in the Life of Jesse James. He did a great job. This time however, he brought his girlfriend to the tutoring session. She is home-schooled and was taking an exam the whole time so it worked out fine.

By the time they left I had only a little bit of time to watch the season premiere of American Idol at which point Betsey called. She sensed my need for some veg time so we kept our conversation short and sweet. Thanks Bets. American Idol was a total disappointment although I think the last girl that auditioned has got to be LDS. No rated R movies…no drinking…no smoking…her choice….hmmm. Did I mention that my 2 year old hates me right now? Can’t imagine why…I’m just so stinkin happy today.

Tomorrow’s adventures include bi-lingual visiting teaching and then a weekly luncheon where Kris and I are teaching Eva to speak English. Thankfully I don’t have to sub until next Friday... for the exact same teacher and exact same classes and students. Hopefully the next time won’t reek as bad! (Ha! Now I’ve typed that word twice☺)
Love,
allie

No comments:

Post a Comment