
Okay, so I think I have some sick twisted disease that makes me imitate whatever job my husband has. Case in point: When Joe was a teacher...I was a sub and now when Joe is a public speaker...I keep getting asked to speak!
Two weeks ago I spoke at the Young Women's New Beginnings. The topic was Be Your Best Kind of Beautiful so I presented a "spiritual beauty bag" full of props. Mirror: Remember to reflect your values and the teachings of Christ every day. Toothpaste: Say your prayers at least twice a day. Moisturizer: Absorb the teachings of the scriptures daily. Sunscreen: Protect yourself against the influence of Satan.
Shampoo/Body Wash Through the Atonement, our sins can be washed away if we repent. Staying clean before the Lord is a wonderful feeling! (Wash, Rinse, Repeat)
Perfume: Spiritual Gifts and Talents. Hair Spray: ENDURE TO THE END! And of course, you start back at the beginning to reflect in the mirror once more! The girls loved it!
Last week I was the speaker at the Relief Society Birthday Party. I had a really hard topic but did the best I could. I took the 3 verses of the hymn "As Sisters in Zion" and showed how it paralleled the 3 fold mission of the church: proclaim the gospel, perfect the saints, and redeem the dead. (Thanks for the idea springboard mom!) Of course, Relief Society is an organization that helps women and their families come unto Christ. I told them about the super-hero power that God has given women ... INVISIBILITY! I used the example of the cathedrals...the workers knew that they would never be recognized for their workmanship and artistry but they gave it their all because they knew God was watching. As mothers, grandmothers, and sisters in the gospel we have so many opportunities to serve each other without ver being seen of the world but Heavenly Father does see and appreciates all we do!
Also last week I was the Story-Hour Presenter at our local library. My theme was "Luck of the Rainbow". I read Finkle Hopper Frog and A Rainbow All Around Me and I also taught them a rainbow finger play sung to the tune of Up On the House Top: First come the rainclouds in the sky...Raindrops falling in my eye...Next comes the sunshine up so high...Now a rainbow in the sky!" The 26 toddlers loved it! We then did a rainbow streamer craft. You take a styrofoam plate and cut out the middle and then glue different colored streamers. We found that the plate was the perfect size to adorn their little heads!
Last night I received a call from Bishop Stahl. As I asked, "What can I do for ya today?" I shouldn't have been surprised to hear him ask the following question. "Sister Jessop, would you please speak on Easter Sunday at sacrament meeting?" What was I going to say...no? After all I love speaking but I am afraid the ward members are going to get really tired of hearing me speak. I don't dare tell any of my friends. I'll just let them find out on Sunday when they see me sitting up front. My topic is going to be really fun..."Who Is Jesus Christ?" Nice and simple right! LOL! I am supposed to use the article in this months special edition Ensign by Boyd K. Packer. It is an awesome article! I hope I can do this topic justice...especially on Easter Sunday!
So am I morphing into Joe in a weird psychological state of envy? Nah! I'll just enjoy it while it lasts. I love speaking in public and consider it one of my talents. This year I have been trying to strengthen my talents. I even started singing classes on Friday night for the next 6 weeks! Woohoo! Last Friday's class was so invigorating as we learned a piece from Pirates of Penzance! I was so scared to go because its been so long since I have been in an instructional setting but it was AWESOME!!!
Just a side note...my calling as primary chorister has been very rewarding lately. The kids are learning If The Savior Stood Beside Me and it moves me to tears when they sing. For Easter Sunday they will be singing Jesus Has Risen. I taught it to them in American Sign Language and it is even more beautiful! I can't wait to see how it turns out!
love, allie



No comments:
Post a Comment