Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Lessons from Ammon

Today I read one of my favorite Book of Mormon stories about Ammon from a different perspective. Yesterday when our missionaries showed up to pick up some dinner we had leftover, I was shocked to find out they still can't teach the Gospel in people's homes or even yards. They are allowed to do service but they just can't teach in person yet. Thankfully they are allowed Zoom meetings but it's just not the same. My soul was troubled by this and I started getting really frustrated. I started thinking of what my own son Will's Post COVID-19 mission will look like in August. In an effort to calm myself down today, I turned to study the Book of Mormon and here is what I learned in the book of Alma. Our awesome missionaries are just having their own Ammon experiences;)
The answer is right there in Alma chapters 17 and 18.
Charles Lowther
and
Tanner Sims
are learning to be servants through service projects (17:23, 25), they are winning the hearts of the people through simply showing up to pick up meals (17:29), they are being a friend to those they serve (18:3), and they are so to speak "feeding the horses and preparing the chariots" for the time being (18:9). They always ask what they can do (18:14). And one day, when this COVID-19 crisis finally ends, they will begin to speak *without masks* (18:24) and teach by the Spirit (18:35) and open the scriptures (18:36) and continue to love greatly those they serve (20:26)! Turns out I was looking at this all wrong☺️ So here's a huge shoutout to all our young people serving missions who might feel like they are spinning their wheels as they wait for life to normalize. Keep doing what you're doing! Keep smiling! Keep bringing light into the world! We love you and are so thankful for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment